Getting Technical

Technical Issues

The title of this post can mean many different things. It can be literal, where you can get down to the nitty-gritty and really get into the technology, or it can be figurative, breaking it down to the core and figuring out why. That is speaking in very broad terms, but this post will be a little more specific to what I’ve gone through. We’ve had a bit of trouble with the last podcast episode, but you know what, I actually enjoyed solving the problems and getting it out there. Also, on my code there’s always going to be technical issues with that crap.

Literally

Before I start let me tell you, we had a great episode and I wouldn’t change that for anything, we hit all the topics, everything flowed really nicely, and it sounded a  lot better than the first episode. However, there were a few things that went wrong while recording, the biggest being, the recording was CORRUPTED. Yes every podcasters biggest fear. We recorded for about an hour and got done with the episode only to find that at the end when we were trying to save it, the file was completely trash and wasn’t able to save. Before you ask, yes, we tried every way of recovering it, without having to pay an exorbitant fee (we weren’t that invested in the recording). It ended up, we had to record another session, which is fine, you live and learn. Now we had the second recording done, I was editing the files that we had, I was just about done editing, and lo and behold, the last-minute was totally unusable and unfix-able. I called Kevin up and told him to listen to the last-minute of the recording and we both agreed that we should re-record that last bit. So, for the third time, in the studio we go, to record the plugs for episode two. Everything went smoothly this time, we got it done, I edited it and sent it out to upload to the magical cloud. You know what it was worth it.

Figuratively

Let’s talk about some code on this coding blog. I am finally making some headway on my first website I’m building from the ground up. I told you guys a long time ago that I was trying to build the website quandtico.com, well I got stuck pretty early on trying to figure out flexbox. It’s supposed to make the coders life easier, but damn it if I couldn’t figure it out. So what’s my next step when I can’t figure something out, that’s right, totally give up on it and move to the next thing. Well I made myself a goal damn it! I was going to figure this thing out. Coming back to it, the first thing to do was to figure out where I got stuck. It was right on the header. If you view the website there’s almost two headers separated by a border. I tried to emulate that with the html responsibly, by making two different div’s and inside those div’s making two different lists. After doing that I was going to make both lists flexbox and display them horizontally. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, everything seemed like it should be working. That’s about the time I gave up. After coming back and doing some extra research I realized that I should be putting the “display: flexbox;” value on the parent node of the actual list elements, I was putting it on the

element. Silly me, so I fixed that and IT WORKED, I then proceeded to get on a bit of a roll, fixing things, starting to work on more than just the header finally. Before I knew it I had to go to work (this was in the morning before I go to work by the way.). I lost some of that momentum, but all day at work I had a bit of a high thinking about the progress that I made. I got home and got some more work done on it, but I’ve still got a long ways to go, so wish me luck on my coding adventures!

Failures

I’m not counting the podcast episode as a failure. We did eventually get it out and it sounds great. I guess the failures that I would count, would just be that I should have coded a bit more. It’s tough, when I get home all I want to do is sit in “my chair” and relax, play some video games, watch some t.v., turn my brain off. As long as we have the mindset that we need when we get home, and the end goal in mind, we can do anything!

Wins

I set another goal a while ago, that I was going to have the number guessing game up and running, after building it from scratch. Well, I did it! I watched and read a lot of tutorials, followed those, closed everything, started from a blank canvas, and wrote ALL the code! It was harder than I thought it was going to be. JavaScript has not come as natural to me as I thought it would. I am getting better at thinking like a programmer and troubleshooting those issues that I had such a hard time with at the beginning. Which feels so GOOD!

 

Once again check out our podcast, anywhere you can find them. Also check us out on Facebook and join the conversation!

Podcast Graphic
Bracket Podcast

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *